Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Post Offices - Part 13



This happy looking mailbox was an unusual part of the post office exhibit at Expo 85. While most people want their mail delivered as quickly as possible, this mailbox was for mail that wouldn't be delivered until 2001. It was a philatelic time capsule, as all of the mail put inside would be held for delivery 16 years later. Why 2001? It seems that Japan used that year as the start of the new millennium, not 2001. Over 300,000 letters were mailed in these happy guys. I would have tried it myself to see if the letter ever did find me, but unfortunately they were for Japanese addresses only.

For more on Expo 85 please stop by my site at http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/expo85/index.htm.

I hope you've enjoyed these looks at post offices from world's fairs. Now to find a subject for tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment