Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Robots at World's Fairs - Part 7



I thought I would close out this series of posts about robots with a view of perhaps the most famous one ever to appear at a world's Fair. That would Elektro, the star of the Westinghouse Pavilion at the 1939-1940 New York World's Fair. Elektro was quite the sensation as he responded to verbal commands. They usually came from a pretty hostess but in this shot he's listening to a dapper gentleman instead. Elektro went through some tough times after the fair ended but he's now enjoying his retirement in a museum.

I wonder if any of the other robots seen in past posts are still around. I know the Robot Zoo Keeper ended up in New Jersey but I think he was last seen about 10 years ago. If anyone knows where he or any of the others are please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment