Monday, April 18, 2011

The Coca-Cola Carillon



Yesterday we looked up at the bells inside the carillon tower at the Coca-Cola Pavilion at the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair. Today we're seeing a very different view. This keyboard was what drove the instrument. Looking at it my mind boggles on the combination of sounds they could have created with all of those different settings. That made me wonder how anyone gets started playing a carillon. It's not like you can practice with one in your garage, much to the happiness of your neighbors, I'm sure. Instead you need to find one to practice on, but can you imagine how that must sound to anyone within earshot?

I would guess most people start playing an organ before moving to a carillon, but it seems like a tough thing to learn, at least to me. Then again I reduced several music teachers to wrecks as I tried, quite badly, to play the drums, clarinet and saxophone.

No comments:

Post a Comment